Sunday, August 23, 2020

 

I don’t always like the quiet.

We now know

What freedom is, because

It has been stolen from us.

Covid-19, a silent warrior came in

Attacking us invisibly

Through hugs and Intimacy

Our most humane instincts.

It reminds me that I’m alone

With my cats and a storm coming

Compounding the silence

Broken by the occasional whirring

A passing car or truck.

TV not working – again

More silence, just marathons

Of movies dusted off from storage

Seen many times before

To mitigate the silence.

I like living alone - with options

To leave. To visit. To have

Friends and family over

For shared meals and catch-up.

Options have disappeared.

Masked people are everywhere

Another intrusion to human

Contact – the world as we know it

Today. Negating the peace I found

Previously in quiet seclusion – 

The emptiness of streets

Stressing the enforced solitude.

The aura of estrangement.

I don’t always like the quiet,

But when birdsong intrudes

In early mornings 

And late afternoons

Rippling the silent isolation

It reminds me we are not truly

Alone. Only our minds feel lonely,

Maybe the heart. Somehow,

Freedom returns with the songs.


No comments: